LICENSES AND FEES
The Office of the City Clerk is responsible for issuing licenses for marriages and civil unions, processing applications for constable appointments, and granting bingo and raffle licenses. Details about the licensing and application processes and associated fee are provided below.
MARRIAGE LICENSE OR CIVIL UNION
OFFICE OF THE CITY CLERK
ROBERT P. MARASCO
WHERE TO APPLY FOR YOUR MARRIAGE/CIVIL UNION LICENSE
-The marriage/civil union license application is to be made in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides and the license is valid throughout the State of New Jersey
-If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage/civil union ceremony will be performed, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.
WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY
- Applicants must be present and provide the following:
- $28.00 (cash only) license fee is due at the time of application (non-refundable)
- One witness (18 years or older)
- ONE OF THE FOLLOWING FOR PROOF OF IDENTITY:
- VALID PASSPORT
- VALID NJ DMV DRIVERS LICENSE / VALID NJ DMV NON-DRIVERS I.D.
- MILITARY PHOTO ID
- ESSEX COUNTY ID (HALL OF RECORDS
- NOTE: IF APPLICANT LIVES OUT OF STATE DMV LICENSE OR I.D. IS ACCEPTED
- PLUS – SOCIAL SECURITY CARD OR NUMBER, IF APPLIES:
PROOF OF RESIDENCY MUST BE PRESENTED BY ONE APPLICANT:
One of the following must be provided and must not be over 60 days old:
- Utility bill: gas/electric, cable, home telephone
- Credit Card bill, hospital bill
THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS/CERTIFICATES ARE HELPFUL BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Your birth certificate.
- Divorce decree or annulled marriage, previous civil union annulled, domestic partnership terminated.
- Death certificate, if your former spouse/civil union or domestic partner is deceased.
There is a 72 hour (3 days) waiting period between the filing of the application and the issuance of the license. This 72-hour waiting period begins at the time the application is filed with the local registrar.
Telephone: (973) 733-3825/3826
Hours: 8:30am to 4:00pm
Monday thru Friday, except holidays
TO APPLY FOR YOUR MARRIAGE/CIVIL UNION LICENSE YOU MUST COME IN NO LATER THAN 3:30pm
Apply for a Constable
- A U.S. citizen
- At least 21 years of age
- A resident of the city of Newark
- Registered to vote in the City of Newark for at least three consecutive years
If Applicant Meets Above Criteria:
- A councilperson must submit to the office of the city clerk a letter sponsoring the applicant.
- Applicant must pick up a constable application, complete it, and return it to the Office of the City Clerk.
Submission to the Newark Police Department:
- Application is forwarded to the Newark Police Department for fingerprinting and investigation.
- Upon approval from the Police Department, application and the investigation report is returned to the Office of the City Clerk
Preparation for Resolution Appointing Constable for a One-Year Term:
- A resolution is prepared by the Office of the City Clerk to appoint applicant for a one-year term.
- Appointing resolution is sent for signature from the councilmember sponsoring applicant.
- Appointing resolution is sent to the Law Department for review and approval.
- Upon the approval of the Law Department, appointing resolution is sent to the Office of the City Clerk to be presented before the Newark Municipal.
- Once resolution has been adopted by the council, a letter is sent to the applicant requesting submission of a bond within 10 to 15 days to the Office of the City Clerk.
- Upon receipt of bond, a bond resolution is prepared by the Office of the City Clerk.
- Bond resolution is sent to the sponsoring councilmember for signature.
- Bond resolution is then sent to the Law Department for review and approval.
- Upon approval of bond resolution from the Law Department, resolution is presented before the Newark Municipal Council Meeting.
- Once resolution has been adopted by the council, applicant is sworn in, issued a certificate of appointment identification card, and charged a fee of $10.00.
Bingo and Raffle Licenses Bingo and raffle
licenses are issued only to nonprofit organizations registered with the State of New Jersey. Applications must be notarized and should be submitted at least four months in advance. An authorized member of the organization must be fingerprinted by the Newark Police Department before submitting the application to the Office of the City Clerk, room B9.This process takes up to eight weeks. The fee for fingerprinting must be paid by money orders - a $4.00 and $30.00 money order. After the fingerprinting process is completed, applicants can submit four notarized copies of the applications to City Hall, Room B-9. The fees are $20 per day for a raffle license and $20 for every $1,000 prize for raffles.
Application for Constable Appointment
To apply for a constable appointment, an individual must be nominated by a member of the Municipal Council, a resident of the City of Newark, a three-year consecutive voter, and have a clean record check from the Newark Police Department. The approval process takes a minimum of 90 business days. The Governing Body must approve the appointment. The term is for a period of one year, and a fee of $10 is payable upon being sworn in. The complete process, described below,can take up to six months.