What's Hot


Birth Certificate

Download the Birth Certificate Request Form below:

To obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate, please submit the Birth Certificate Request Form by mail to:

Department of Child and Family Well-Being
Vital Statistics
920 Broad Street, Room 111
Newark, NJ 07102

Contact: (973) 733-6510

Include with the form:

  • A money order payable to “City of Newark” for $25, with an additional $4 for each additional copy of the same record. NO PERSONAL CHECKS.
  • A self-addressed stamped envelope (if by mail)
  • The following documents (copies if by mail):

Valid photo driver's license or photo non-driver's license with current address


Valid driver's license without photo and an alternate form of ID with current address


Two alternate forms of ID, one of which must show the current address:
  • Vechicle Registration Card
  • Vehicle Insurance Card
  • Voter Registration Card
  • US/Foreign Passport
  • Immigrant Visa
  • Permanent Residence Card (Green Card)
  • Federal/State ID
  • School ID
  • Utility Bill or Bank Statement (within last 90 days)
  • Tax Return/W-2 for current or the previous tax year

If you are looking for a certified copy, proof of relationship is required that establishes that you are:
  • The subject of the record
  • The subject's parent, legal guardian or legal representative
  • The subject's spouse/civil union partner/domestic partner; child, grandchild or sibling, if of legal age
  • A state of federal agency for official purposes
  • Pursuant to court order

To establish proof of relationship for:

Your own birth certificate: Your valid ID is acceptable; however, if you have assumed your spouse's or civil union partner's surname, provide a copy of your marriage or civil union certificate to link the name on your current ID to the name on your birth certificate.

Your child's birth certificate:
If the name on your identification matches the name of the child's parent, then your identification will establish your relationship. If your current name does not match the name as recorded on the birth certificate, as the parent you will need to supply a copy of your marriage or civil union certificate or legal name change.

Your spouse's/civil union partner's birth record: Provide a copy of your marriage/civil union certificate.

Your parent's or sibling's vital record: Provide a copy of YOUR birth certificate with parents' names.

Your grandparent's vital record: You must establish that you are the person's grandchild by linking the name on your ID to the name of the grandparent. For example, if you changed your last name after marriage/civil union and want a grandparent's vital reccord, you must:
1) provide your marriage/civil union certificate to show your name at birth,
2) provide your birth certificate to identify your parent, and
3) provide the parent's birth certificate to identify the grandparent.

If you are looking for a certified copy of a record and are:

An executor of an estate: You must supply proof of appointment as the executor.

The legal representative of the executor of an estate: You must supply proof of legal retainer by the executor and proof of the appointment of the individual as the executor

The legal repsentative of an individual that is eligible to receive a certified copy of a vital record: You must supply proof of legal retainer by the eligible individual and their proof of relationship.

If you are not a person qualified to get a certified copy of a record, but:

You are helping a peron receive a certified copy of a vital record they are eligible to receive: You must show you valid ID and a notarized, written release authorizing you to get the record on that person's behalf, OR you can supply a written release from the person you are helping along with a copy of that person's valide photo ID.

In need of a vital record and are not the legal representative of an eligible person: You must obtain a court order directing the State Registrar to issue a certified copy of the record. A subpoena is not sufficient to issue a copy of a vital record.