Newark is home to more than 280,000 residents and a large international immigrant community.
The Mayor’s Office of International Relations and Diaspora Affairs (MOIRDA) was created to maintain a relationship with Newark’s diaspora communities, international partners and global constituencies. Our office will expose Newark businesses to international communities, provide immigration assistance and educate international investors on the advantages of Newark.
Our Office will help outside organizations from as close as East Orange to as far as South Africa connect with Newark’s residents. Our main goal is to teach and educate the citizens of Newark about the different cultures in our society. We encourage you to participate in our international events in Newark as we set our office as a platform of multicultural news information, Current Events and Constituents service base for immigrants. We will also work with local Employment agencies, Schools, Organizations, NGOs (Non-governmental organization), Unions, Local Government and Private or Public Entities.
Our goals are as follows:
- Build relationships with: Consulates, Foreign Diplomatic Offices, Congressmen, Senators, Chambers of commerce and International organizations
- Expand ESL and Civics Educational Programming for immigrants
- Embrace international diversity in Newark’s community
- Educate residents on global business opportunities
- Guidance to assist individuals facing barriers to needed services in Newark
- Bring international companies and businesses to Newark
- Expose Newark businesses to international communities
- Educational field trips to historical sites within the United States for residents
- Provide immigration services
- Expand Sister City Program, which enables Newark to collaborate with cities around the world for the purpose of cultural and business exchange
- Educate youth on study abroad and international opportunities
- Municipal City ID for Non-Residents
The Mayor’s Office of International Relations and Diaspora Affairs
920 Broad Street
Newark, NJ 07102
Olamide Davies Talabi
For general information please send email to