Download the official City of Newark App, "My Newark", to find out about the latest updates, events, or to tell us about an issue like a missed garbage pickup.

Official City of Newark App Official City of Newark App_GooglePlay ×

Birth & Marriage Certificates


Birth Certificates are managed by the Department of Health and Community Wellness.  To request a copy of your Birth Certificate, please complete the Birth Certificate Request Form below. The form must be mailed to:

Newark Bureau of Vital Statistics
Mary Eliza Mahoney Health Center
394 University Avenue
Newark, NJ 07102

Download: Birth Certificate Request Form

For additional information, please contact: (973) 733-6510


In addition to the form, you MUST include:

  1. A money order payable to “City of Newark” for $25, with an additional $4 for each additional copy of the same record. NO PERSONAL CHECKS ARE ACCEPTED.
  2. A self-addressed stamped envelope (if by mail)
  3. One of the following documents (copies if by mail):
  • Driver’s license with current address and photo
  • Non-driver’s license with current address and photo
  • Non-photo driver’s license and an alternate form of ID with current address

OR two of the following (one of which must show the current address):

  • Vehicle Registration Card
  • Vehicle Insurance Card
  • Voter Registration Card
  • US/Foreign Passport
  • Immigrant Visa
  • Permanent Residence Card (Green Card)
  • Federal/State ID
  • School ID
  • Utility Bill or Bank Statement (within last 90 days)
  • Tax Return/W-2 for current or the previous tax year

For a certified copy:

You must have proof of relationship that you are one of the following:

  • The subject of the record
  • The subject’s parent, legal guardian or legal representative
  • The subject’s spouse/civil union partner/domestic partner; child, grandchild or sibling
  • A state or federal agency for official purposes
  • Pursuant to court order

To establish proof of relationship for:

Your own birth certificate: Your valid ID is acceptable; however, if you have assumed your spouse’s or civil union partner’s surname, provide a copy of your marriage or civil union certificate to link the name on your current ID to the name on your birth certificate.

Your child’s birth certificate: If the name on your identification matches the name of the child’s parent, then your identification will establish your relationship. If your current name does not match the name as recorded on the birth certificate, as the parent you will need to supply a copy of your marriage or civil union certificate or legal name change.

Your spouse’s/civil union partner’s birth record: Provide a copy of your marriage/civil union certificate.

Your parent’s or sibling’s vital record: Provide a copy of YOUR birth certificate with parents’ names.

Your grandparent’s vital record: You must establish that you are the person’s grandchild by linking the name on your ID to the name of the grandparent. For example, if you changed your last name after marriage/civil union and want a grandparent’s vital record, you must:

1. Provide your marriage/civil union certificate to show your name at birth,
2. Provide your birth certificate to identify your parent, and
3. Provide the parent’s birth certificate to identify the grandparent.

An executor of an estate: You must supply proof of appointment as the executor.

The legal representative of the executor of an estate: You must supply proof of legal retainer by the executor and proof of the appointment of the individual as the executor.

The legal representative of an individual that is eligible to receive a certified copy of a vital record: You must supply proof of legal retainer by the eligible individual and their proof of relationship.

If you are not a person qualified to get a certified copy of a record, but:

You are helping a person receive a certified copy of a vital record they are eligible to receive: You must show your valid ID and a notarized, written release authorizing you to get the record on that person’s behalf, OR you can supply a written release from the person you are helping along with a copy of that person’s valid photo ID.

In need of a vital record and are not the legal representative of an eligible person: You must obtain a court order directing the State Registrar to issue a certified copy of the record. A subpoena is not sufficient to issue a copy of a vital record.


Birth Certificates
Newark City Hall
920 Broad Street, Room B9
Newark NJ 07102

Mayor @rasjbaraka calls on airports to treat workers better #PovertyDoesntFly #livingwage | Tweeted On: Nov 24, 2015

Democracy Now! interviewed Mayor Ras J. Baraka and discussed his current views of continuing to move the City of... | Tweeted On: Nov 24, 2015

Thank You #EBONYPower100 for selecting our Mayor @rasjbaraka for your 2015 Power 100. Congrats Mayor Ras J. Baraka | Tweeted On: Nov 23, 2015

Hear Mayor Baraka's take on the promise of Newark Public Schools and the importance of empowering and motivating... | Tweeted On: Nov 23, 2015

Congrats to our Mayor @rasjbaraka who is now an Honoree of the 2015 EBONY Power 100 ! Thank You #EBONYPower100... | Tweeted On: Nov 23, 2015

Mayor @rasjbaraka, @DeputyMayorJQ and @brightfuturesclub host the #familyfitnesschallenge in #newark today! | Tweeted On: Nov 22, 2015

Remember, A Fit Family is A Healthy Family. Come Out Today at 4 to the City of Newark Family Fitness Challenge | Tweeted On: Nov 22, 2015

Here's a photo recap of the Re-Grand Opening of 15 Washington Street, Rutgers University-Newark New Dormitory!... | Tweeted On: Nov 21, 2015

Hey! Our Mayor Ras J. Baraka is on "All Politics is Local" with Bashir Akinyele RIGHT NOW! Tune in here > | Tweeted On: Nov 20, 2015

The City of Newark Blues People Festival International is still going on! Come Out Tonight to The Blue Mirror... | Tweeted On: Nov 20, 2015

Follow Us on Social Media

Follow Newark on Facebook Follow Newark on Twitter Follow Newark on Instagram Follow Newark on Flickr