Birth Certificates are managed by the Department of Health and Community Wellness. To request a copy of your Birth Certificate, please complete the Birth Certificate Request Form below. The form must be mailed to:
Newark Bureau of Vital Statistics
Mary Eliza Mahoney Health Center
394 University Avenue
Newark, NJ 07102
Download: Birth Certificate Request Form
For additional information, please contact: (973) 733-6510
In addition to the form, you MUST include:
- A money order payable to “City of Newark” for $25, with an additional $4 for each additional copy of the same record. NO PERSONAL CHECKS ARE ACCEPTED.
- A self-addressed stamped envelope (if by mail)
- One of the following documents (copies if by mail):
- Driver’s license with current address and photo
- Non-driver’s license with current address and photo
- Non-photo driver’s license and an alternate form of ID with current address
OR two of the following (one of which must show the current address):
- Vehicle Registration Card
- Vehicle Insurance Card
- Voter Registration Card
- US/Foreign Passport
- Immigrant Visa
- Permanent Residence Card (Green Card)
- Federal/State ID
- School ID
- Utility Bill or Bank Statement (within last 90 days)
- Tax Return/W-2 for current or the previous tax year
For a certified copy:
You must have proof of relationship that you are one of the following:
- The subject of the record
- The subject’s parent, legal guardian or legal representative
- The subject’s spouse/civil union partner/domestic partner; child, grandchild or sibling
- A state or federal agency for official purposes
- Pursuant to court order
To establish proof of relationship for:
Your own birth certificate: Your valid ID is acceptable; however, if you have assumed your spouse’s or civil union partner’s surname, provide a copy of your marriage or civil union certificate to link the name on your current ID to the name on your birth certificate.
Your child’s birth certificate: If the name on your identification matches the name of the child’s parent, then your identification will establish your relationship. If your current name does not match the name as recorded on the birth certificate, as the parent you will need to supply a copy of your marriage or civil union certificate or legal name change.
Your spouse’s/civil union partner’s birth record: Provide a copy of your marriage/civil union certificate.
Your parent’s or sibling’s vital record: Provide a copy of YOUR birth certificate with parents’ names.
Your grandparent’s vital record: You must establish that you are the person’s grandchild by linking the name on your ID to the name of the grandparent. For example, if you changed your last name after marriage/civil union and want a grandparent’s vital record, you must:
1. Provide your marriage/civil union certificate to show your name at birth,
2. Provide your birth certificate to identify your parent, and
3. Provide the parent’s birth certificate to identify the grandparent.
An executor of an estate: You must supply proof of appointment as the executor.
The legal representative of the executor of an estate: You must supply proof of legal retainer by the executor and proof of the appointment of the individual as the executor.
The legal representative of an individual that is eligible to receive a certified copy of a vital record: You must supply proof of legal retainer by the eligible individual and their proof of relationship.
If you are not a person qualified to get a certified copy of a record, but:
You are helping a person receive a certified copy of a vital record they are eligible to receive: You must show your valid ID and a notarized, written release authorizing you to get the record on that person’s behalf, OR you can supply a written release from the person you are helping along with a copy of that person’s valid photo ID.
In need of a vital record and are not the legal representative of an eligible person: You must obtain a court order directing the State Registrar to issue a certified copy of the record. A subpoena is not sufficient to issue a copy of a vital record.
Newark City Hall
920 Broad Street, Room B9
Newark NJ 07102