Letter From Mayor Baraka on School Water
March 10, 2016
Mayor Ras J. Baraka’s Letter to Parents on Lead in Newark Public Schools’ Water
Dear Concerned Newark Parents,
As you have learned by now, nearly half of the schools in the Newark Public School District have been affected by elevated levels of lead that were found in water sourced for water fountains and sinks. We take these matters seriously, as the health and safety of all of our citizens is our foremost priority.
However, let me begin by saying that the WATER IN NEWARK HOMES AND BUSINESSES IS SAFE and you should in no way alter the ways in which you consume or use it in your daily regimen. Moreover, the elevated levels found in the samples do not rise to the level of critical nor dangerous.
Here is what you need to know about water quality in our schools. Please share this information with your neighbors, family and friends:
- Testing reveals that the water supply to our homes and businesses throughout the city is totally safe.
- The problem only exists within 30 Newark Public Schools. The School District has taken action to temporarily utilize alternate water sources in those school buildings.
- Bottled water has been delivered for drinking and food preparation at all schools with one or more samples of elevated levels of lead.
- All water fountains at all of these schools have been turned off.
- In restrooms, kitchens, and other locations where water needs to remain on for hand washing or dishwashing, signs advise to use water ONLY for washing hands.
- Letters notifying parents of the status of their child’s school have been sent home with all students.
I am also asking Newarkers to donate two (2) cases of water to be used in the schools. Water may be donated to the schools at any of the following locations:
|Boylan Recreation Center||916 South Orange Avenue||973.733.8947||Monday-Friday 11:30-7:30pm Saturday 9:30am- 5:30pm|
|Sharpe James/Kenneth A. Gibson (Ironbound) Recreation Center||226 Rome Street||973.733.3707||Tuesday-Friday 9:30am -7:30pm Saturday 9:30am- 5:30pm Closed Mondays|
|John F. Kennedy Recreation Center||211 West Kinney St.||973.733.5483||Monday-Friday 9:30-7:30pm Saturday 9:30am- 5:30pm|
|Rotunda Recreation Center||75 Clifton Avenue||973.733.3677||Monday-Friday 11:30-7:30pm Saturday 9:30am- 5:30pm|
We, as Newarkers, are resilient and we find strength in our unity. Together, let’s work together to assist our students and schools during this situation.
Yours in progress,
Mayor Ras J. Baraka