PUBLIC COMMENT NOTICE
May 27, 2010
City of Newark, New Jersey
Program Year 2010-2015 HUD Consolidated Plan
The City of Newark, New Jersey is in the process of developing its 2010-2015 Consolidated Plan. The proposed 2010-2015 Consolidated Plan will identify housing, community development, and homelessness needs and the City’s proposed strategies for addressing these needs. The proposed 2010-2011 Annual Action Plan includes annual goals and objectives for housing and community development; the projected use of Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) 2010 program year funds; and the specific method for distributing HOME Investment Partnership funds, Emergency Shelter Grant (ESG) funds, Housing for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA) funds, and Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds.
Below is a brief overview of the Consolidated Plan:
The Consolidated Plan is both a plan and an application, as it combines planning and application requirements from several statutes. It is:
• A collaborative process whereby the City establishes a unified vision for community development actions;
• A comprehensive housing affordability strategy (CHAS) that sets forth the City’s policy for allocating investment among housing needs activities;
• A statement of specific long-term and short-term community development objectives and priority non-housing community development needs;
• An application for funding under the Community Planning and Development formula grant programs (CDBG, HOME, ESG, and HOPWA);
• A strategy to be followed in carrying out HUD programs; and
• A management tool for tracking and measuring results.
The Consolidated Plan provides detailed descriptions of the following, regarding the City of Newark:
• Citizen Participation Plan;
• Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice;
• Housing Market Analysis;
• Assessment of affordable housing, homeless, special needs populations and community; development needs;
• Five-year Strategic Plan; and
• Annual Action Plan.
An important part of the process in developing the Consolidated Plan and the Annual Action Plan is citizen participation and input. All interested parties, including citizens, local officials, and agency representatives are invited and urged to review a copy of the draft Consolidated Plan and the Annual Action Plan.
Before submission to HUD, the draft Consolidated Plan and the Annual Action Plan must be made available for public review and comment for no fewer than 30 days. The public review and comment period of the City’s 2010-15 draft Consolidated Plan and the 2010-11 Annual Action Plan will be May 28 through June 28, 2010. Copies of the draft report are available on the City's website or at City Hall in the Office of Partnerships and Grants Management located at 920 Broad Street in room B-16. Residents may also submit comments regarding the draft Consolidated Plan and the Annual Action Plan in writing to the City of Newark Office of Partnerships and Grants Management, 920 Broad Street, Room B-16, Newark, New Jersey 07102. These comments will be considered until 5:30 p.m. on Monday, June 28, 2010. For additional information, please contact Jolanda Williams via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via telephone at (973)733-3394. Persons with disabilities who require additional assistance or special arrangements should also contact Ms. Williams.